Monday 4 February 2013

Books Read in January

It's hard to believe that January is almost over. Where did all the days go?

I've spent the majority of the month reading, editing, and worrying about adult responsibilities. Very tiring. Even though I'm on holidays, I feel like I've never been busier. 

So, here are the first books of the year. 

1. Heart of Steel (The Iron Seas, #2) - Meljean Brooke
2. Mr Fox - Helen Oyeyemi
3. Rebel Heart (Dust Lands, #2) - Moira Young
4. Fire Spell - Laura Amy Schlitz
5. Please Ignore Vera Dietz - A.S. King
6. The Brides of Rollrock Island - Margo Lanagan *
7. The Unbearable Lightness of Being - Milan Kundera
8. Monsters of Men (Chaos Walking, #3) - Patrick Ness
9. Between the Lines - Jodie Picoult & Samantha van Leer
10. My Sister Lives on the Mantlepiece - Annabel Pitcher
11. Falling to Ash (Moth, #1) - Karen Mahoney
12. Shadows (Ashes, #2) - Isla J. Bick
13. Feast of Fools (The Morganville Vampires, #4) - Rachel Caine
14. The Farm (The Farm, #1) - Emily McKay
15. Jane Eyre Laid Bare - Charlotte Brontë & Eve Sinclair
Lazing out in the sun with the puppy


And because I'm in love with random statistics and such:

Pages: 5,328
Avg. pages: 355pgs per book

Ratings:
5 stars - 3
4 stars - 2
3 stars - 5
2 stars - 4
1 star -1

Of the above books, only one made it to my all-time favourites list: Margo Lanagan's Brides of Rollrock Island (published as Sea Hearts here in Aus). This was my first novel of hers that I'd read, and holy crap, I regret not picking up her stuff sooner. When I find the time, I plan on picking up Tender Morsels. 

Fire Spell by Laura Amy Schlitz was another book that I really loved--unfortunately it didn't make it onto the fave list, through no fault of its own, it just didn't click in that way. 
Pretty pictures make this book readable.
Another unforgettable book--for all the wrong reasons--was Jane Eyre Laid Bare. Curiosity forced me to pick it up. I love Jane Eyre. It's one of my favourite novels ever. But this... this was a monstrosity. It provided for some lol-sy entertainment, though, so I guess it served its purpose.

Other things that happened in January:
- meeting Neil Gaiman (for the second time in my life)
- getting my first tattoo
but both those two deserve their own posts, so keep an eye out in the next few days. ;)

I hope the first month of 2013 passed without any complications for everyone. And I hope February will be just as awesome as January. <3

2 comments:

  1. I still have yet to read ROLLROCK, damn it. That photo of it and Layla together is just lovely!

    I am also still looking askance at this Jane Eyre Laid Bare book. I think it's appropriate that the library bar code is pasted over the author's name, hah.

    P.S. Put book ratings next to your list next time! I want to knooooow. I love that you include the # of pages you read, though. I like that the GoodReads challenge widget tracks that for you over the course of the year.

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You NEED to get your paws on ROLLROCK asap. It's just so hauntingly lovely, and even Layla loved it ;P

      Yeah, Jane Eyre Laid Bare was just... wow. A mess of a book. It used the original work, with random sex scenes pasted in. I couldn't stop shuddering.

      And sure, that's a good idea; I can't believe I hadn't thought of it. Feb's book list will defs have ratings. :)
      Sorry for the late reply--I've been a hermit because of editing and writing things, haha :)

      Delete