Tuesday 26 February 2013

Auto-buy Authors

I don't usually participate in memes. Mostly because I find them somewhat annoying, and because I can never commit myself to actually posting regularly. Because I fail like that.

But today is different. I really like the question posed for today's Top Ten Tuesday (which is hosted by The Broke & The Bookish).
What authors are on your auto-buy list?


Palimpsest by Catherynne M. Valente

1. Catherynne M. Valente is one of my all time favourite authors. Her way with words break me. I've even been trying to get my hands on the hard to find, out of print stuff that she's published with small presses, and it really hurts my wallet, but makes my heart sing with joy.

2. David Mitchell. I tried his book, Cloud Atlas on a whim because I had heard about the gross white-washing that had been done in the movie, and I wanted to see if it was in any way justified (because it deals with a whole bunch of complicated reincarnations) (hint: it wasn't). After Cloud, I was hooked. I tried to get my hands on the rest of his work, and devoured them. As with Catherynne M. Valente, he has a way with words, though in a very different abstract sort of way. His metaphors evoke a surreal image, and I honestly can't handle how perfect it all is.

3. Juliet Marillier. Once again, I was hooked by beautiful words. Not only that, but her world-building, and the careful way she builds her characters leaves me breathless. Daughter of the Forest is a novel that left me depressed, disgusted, heartbroken, and elated.

The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey
4. Eowyn Ivey. Even though she's only written one book, I know that she is an author I would love to read more from. She has a talent at making the reader feel completely immersed within the world of the book. When I was reading Snow Child, which is set in Alaska, I could feel the cold, hear the crunch of footsteps on ice, and the wail of a howling wind.

5. Alison Croggon. When I was a teen, I absolutely devoured her Pellinor series. I can still remember traces of her novels, and the feelings they made me feel. But when I picked up her newest novel, Black Spring, I fell in love with her work all over again.

6. Laini Taylor. As with every other author listed so far, Laini is mentioned because of her writing. Can you tell I'm a sucker for poetic prose?

7. Franny Billingsley. Again, pretty writing. Her stories are like fairy tales, they evoke a sense of wonder and beauty and magic. Love love love. I just wish that she wrote faster so that I could have more books to devour and cry over.

8. Cherie Priest. The first person on this list who isn't here because of pretty writing. Not that she writes bad or anything. I'm more interested in her imagination. I absolutely loved Boneshaker. The world, the characters, the atmosphere.

9. Neil Gaiman. Of course this man would be on this list. Of-freaking-course. This man is a crazed genius. American Gods is one of my all-time fave novels because of the original vision of mythology being pitted against modernism. And then there's the Sandman graphic novels. And his books for children. And his short stories. And his scripts for Doctor Who... There's just so much that this man has done, and it's all been practically perfect.


10. Alison Goodman. After falling in love with Eon and its sequel Eona, I knew that I had to have every single book that Goodman will ever write. She writes rich, vivid, well-researched worlds, that tackle social issues like femininity, transsexuality, spirituality etc, without feeling like you're being lectured. I love that sort of stuff.

So yeah, top ten authors that are on my auto-buy list.
Here, have a picture of Layla as a parting gift.

11 comments:

  1. Some cool names up there; I really enjoyed Franny Billingsley's work.

    Trying to think if I have any auto-buys...possibly not. Even my favourite authors of all time have written dreadful books. (At least one of them is on that list...:P). I guess this is why I'm a library person. When I do find a book I think is genius *then* I buy it. And reread. And reread. And reread...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, I do that too! If I'm on the fence about something, I try to find it in the library first. Then if I like it, I stop reading and order it, forcing myself to wait till it comes and finish it. Weird, I know, and a bit OCD. :)

      Delete
    2. I wish I had as much self-control as you, Cat. I go absolutely nuts when it comes to buying books. Whenever I have a little extra money... it goes towards a book, haha.

      Delete
  2. I've discovered David Mitchell this year through reading The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet, which I really, really enjoyed. Cloud Atlas is next on my list to try, not because of the movie, but because the samples on Amazon were so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Jacob de Zoet is so gorgeous. It's very different from the rest of his books, though, so be warned. Everything else he's written is very surreal in a Haruki Murakami sort of way. I hope you like Cloud Atlas! :)

      Delete
  3. I've never read any Laini Taylor, but I've seen her mentioned on a few lists today, and I feel like I should probably seek one of her books out and give it a go! (Even if I am just a bit in love with her pink hair.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh! I can't believe you haven't read Laini Taylor. Her writing is absolutely gorgeous! And her pink hair is a bonus ;)

      Delete
  4. I haven't read any of these authors! Isn't that terrible! There are a few that I really want to check out - like Laini Taylor and Neil Gaiman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For shame, Belle!
      I hope that when you do pick up Taylor and Gaiman and others, you'll like them. :)

      Delete
  5. Neil Gaiman is awesome. Great list. You gave me some to look out for.
    New follower.
    MY TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eee! Another Gaiman fan!
      Thanks so much for following! :)

      Delete